ESA Certified Fire Alarm Technician Level 2 (CFAT)
The ESA Certified Fire Alarm Technician designation will show your customers, licensing agencies and the AHJ that you have the skills and experience to install commercially based fire alarm systems.
Becoming an ESA Certified Fire Alarm Technician Level 2 gives you a road map for success in your career development by requiring applicants to meet stringent training and work experience requirements. This certification is also an alternative to NICET Level 2 in many jurisdictions.
The ESA Certification’s advantage over other certification programs is that our certifications are based on rigorous curriculum, field experience requirements, competency-based testing and a personal recommendation to ensure that students meet core skills and knowledge requirements. They validate your abilities to customers, supervisors, peers and potential employers.
How do I earn the CFAT Level II Fire?
- Must hold an ESA Certified Alarm Technician Level 1 (CAT) or higher (ESA/NTS or accredited) certificate
- Must have 24 months work history (proven by submitting work verification) or have held ESA Certified Alarm Technician Level 1 for 24 months or more.
- Then successfully complete two additional courses of study within the previous five years:
- Fire Alarm Installation Methods (FAIM) course, or the online equivalent, and pass the proctored multiple-choice examination
- Life Safety Code (LSC) course or International Building Code (IBC) course and pass the proctored multiple-choice examination
- Submit the CFAT Level 2 Certification Request Form with the required documentation
Let ESA make things easier by purchasing a certification bundle
Certification Bundles allow Members to save up to 10% on course fees when all required courses are purchased in advance.
When you purchase a Certification Bundle you will automatically be registered in the courses required to earn the certification. This process will use automatically triggered emails to keep you on track and ensure you don’t miss a step to earning the certification.
Bundles are for the Online delivered versions of the courses. NOTE: Not all state regulatory agencies allow online courses for licensing. Please check with your licensing agency prior to taking this course for licensing.
Access Your Training
Are you currently registered or have been registered for an ESA NTS Course? Click here to access our Learning Portal.
Curious about the proctored exam policy, or how you access your training history? Please view our Frequently Asked Questions page for a complete list of common questions and answers, or contact us at NTS@ESAweb.org or 888-447-1689 ext 6831.